Friday 7 September 2012

Never Look Away



Title: Never Look Away

Author: Linwood Barclay

Number of pages: 528

Started: 30 August 2012

Finished: 7 September 2012

Opening words:

“He’s really out of it.”

“Look for a key.”

“I told you, I’ve been through his pockets. There’s no goddamn handcuff key.”

“What about the combination? Maybe he wrote it down somewhere, put it in his wallet or something.”

“What, you think he’s a moron? He’s going to write down the combination and keep it on him?”

“So cut the chain. We take the case, we figure out how to open it later.”

“It looks way stronger than I thought. It’ll take me an hour to cut through.”

“You can’t get the cuff over his hand?”

“How many times do I have to tell you? I’m gonna have to cut it off.”

“I thought you said it would take forever to cut the cuff.”

“I’m not talking about the cuff.”


Plot summary:

It starts with a trip to a local amusement park. David Harwood is hoping a carefree day will help dispel his wife Jan's recent depression that has led to frightening thoughts of suicide. Instead, a day of fun with their son Ethan turns into a nightmare.

When Jan disappears from the park, David's worst fears seem to have come true. But when he goes to the police to report her missing, the facts start to indicate something very different. The park's records show that only two tickets were purchased, and CCTV shows no evidence that Jan ever entered the park at all. Suddenly David's story starts to look suspicious - and the police to wonder if Jan's already dead, murdered by her husband.

To prove his innocence and keep his son from being taken away from him, David is going to have to dig deep into the past and come face to face with a terrible childhood tragedy - but by doing that he could risk destroying everything precious to him...

What I thought:

I have read a number of Linwood Barclay’s books and have had mixed feelings about them.  This one was one of the better ones though.  I thought the plot held together better and it had a plot that lasted through to the end.  Parts of it were guessable, but I didn’t think this took away from the book like it did with some of his others.

It was very readable and a page-turning crime novel.  A decent read.

No comments: