Tuesday 19 February 2013

The House of Silk



Title: The House of Silk

Author: Anthony Horowitz

Number of pages: 416

Started: 13 February 2013

Finished: 19 February 2013

Opening words:

I have often reflected on the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age.  If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the time, may seem entirely trivial.

Plot summary:

THE GAME'S AFOOT . . .
It is November 1890 and London is gripped by a merciless winter. Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are enjoying tea by the fire when an agitated gentleman arrives unannounced at 221b Baker Street. He begs Holmes for help, telling the unnerving story of a scar-faced man with piercing eyes who has stalked him in recent weeks.
Intrigued, Holmes and Watson find themselves swiftly drawn into a series of puzzling and sinister events, stretching from the gas-lit streets of London to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston and the mysterious 'House of Silk' . . .

What I thought:

I have read a number of Sherlock Holmes stories and so was interested to read a new novel carrying on the tale.  It was a good story and there was something quite comforting about sinking into Dr Watson’s narrative of his friend’s detective skills.  It has been some time since I have read any of the stories by Conan Doyle, so I can’t remember enough to directly compare whether this story was a credible continuation.  However, it seemed to fit within the style of the previous books.  Readable and a decent continuation of the series.

No comments: